Music Licensing

Get the right song

We can help you get the right license for the right song right here, right now.
Get in touch
The Process
Define the project
We help you find the perfect music
WE set the right license
Step four
Watch your project shine 🖤

We know what we’re doing, we’ve done it heaps

With many years industry experience, our team is ready to help you.  Check out a few examples of what we have worked on recently or scan through our playlists for inspiration.


KFC's Classic Feast just got a whole lot better thanks to "X Gon’ Give It To Ya" by DMX.


“Baby It’s You” by Promises really shines in this now iconic Speights commercial.

Winton Property Development

“Alive & Kicking” by Simple Minds is the perfect match for NZ property developer Winton's latest ad, taking us back to our childhood and what it meant to grow up in a great neighbourhood.


Featuring "Go" by The Chemical Brothers, this Vodafone campaign perfectly captures how businesses, and their teams can work from anywhere.

Music Licensing for Media & Reproduction

Want to use a Universal Music sound recording in an advertising campaign, student film, corporate video, short film, internal presentation or similar?


CLICK HERE to complete the Base – Master Rights Form


A quote will then be sent to you. All quotes are subject to clearance, and clearance may, in fact be denied. If clearance is granted, we will issue you with a Licence Agreement which must be signed and returned before you can use the Sound Recording.


Copyright Notice

The public performance or transmission of any Universal Music protected sound recording or music video without approval and without the appropriate agreement in place and payment of the relevant fee is an infringement of copyright pursuant to the The Copyright Act (1994). Such copyright infringement could expose you and/or your company to substantial monetary damages and injunctive relief in favour of Universal Music New Zealand.

Direct Licensing for Public Performance & Transmission

Universal Music New Zealand also offers direct, non-exclusive licences of its sound recordings and music videos for the following purposes:

  1. transmission/communication to the public (for example, via the television, radio, internet or mobile); and
  2. public performance (for example, playing a CD or music DVD in a restaurant, hairdresser or other business premises).


CLICK HERE to enquire about obtaining the rights to publicly perform or transmit Universal music or videos


Once the form has been completed and submitted we will contact you to obtain any further information we require and/or to provide you with a quote for the licence fee.

Licence fees vary depending on the type of use you wish to make of the sound recording or music video. If the quote is accepted we will then issue you with a licence agreement which must be signed and returned and the fee paid before you can use the sound recording or music video.


Please note:

  1. Universal Music New Zealand’s licence is separate from any licence required in relation to the copyright in the music and lyrics on the sound recording or music video. Permission to use musical works and/or lyrics can be sought from APRA and AMCOS on Freephone 0800 692 772, or see
  2. For certain uses in the areas of transmission and public performance, Recorded Music New Zealand offers a blanket licence which covers recordings from most record companies and rights holders. Please see or phone Freephone 0800 88 77 69 to discuss a blanket licence with Recorded Music New Zealand. If you obtain the relevant blanket licence from Recorded Music New Zealand to publicly perform or transmit sound recordings or music videos, you will not require an additional licence from Universal Music New Zealand.



    Thank you! Your submission has been received!
    Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.